17th – 24th September
A course for those wanting to learn and improve their salsa percussion skills. This course will include technique development, ensemble playing and drum variations for bongo, congas, güiro and timbales and cover styles such as salsa, son, charanga, mozambique and guaguanco.
The week-long retreats are spilt between tuition and practice time, making the most of the amazing location (mountain walks, beaches, sea-swimming, snorkelling, sunbathing, star-gazing, horse riding etc. ), relaxing and of course, eating and drinking.
David Pattman. David’s experience includes playing with Omara Portuondo of the Buena Vista Social Club, Cachaito Lopez, Cubanismo, Anga Diaz, Roberto Plá, Snowboy, Django Bates, Alex Wilson, Slim Gailard, Carlos ‘Patato’ Valdez and Daniel Ponce as well as Jacob Collier and Paul McCartney.
No need to bring instruments we have a variety available.
Retreat prices all-inclusive per person (7 nights)
Shared Room £650
Single Room £750
To secure your place please pay £150 deposit by 1st July. A full refund will be issued if Covid restrictions prevent the courses from happening.
Please visit our Accommodation page to read about the facilities available at Finca Ará Oko.
Included in the price
– 5 hours tuition x 5 days (10 am – 1.30 pm and 5 am – 7 pm)
– Two-days of excursions either to the beach, nature reserve or mountain walking.
– Three meals a day.
Not included in the price
– Flights – The nearest airport is Almeria (50 min drive), then Granada (1 ½ hours’ drive), then Malaga (2 hours’ drive). Fares range from £125 -350 return.
– Transport to and from the airport. Public transport, unfortunately, is rubbish. We are happy to organise a lift for you. Ideally, try to fly into Almeria as it is the nearest airport. We will assist with coordinating with other members in your group. If four people are sharing, budget for approximately €15-20 per person per airport trip from Almeria.
– Car hire – Some of you may wish to hire a car during your stay. It is a lovely place to drive. Good roads and no traffic. If you choose this option let me know as we have now had plenty of experience of how not to get ripped off by the car-hire firms.
– Travel insurance – Please make your own arrangements.
– Extra lessons
– Extra excursions and activities (two-day excursions are included in the price). There are horse riding, cycling and water sport activities available nearby.
*If you wish to stay longer than 7 nights please check with us to see if we can accommodate you. If we can’t for any reason we will be able to suggest places to stay nearby.
How to book
To secure your place, please make a deposit of £150. You can use our online shop and pay via Paypal. If you do not want to pay via Paypal email us and we will send our bank details firstname.lastname@example.org. The outstanding balance will be required by August 15th.
Please see our Cancellation and Participation Guide before booking.
Deposit – Salsa Percussion Retreat: £150 17th – 24nd September