6th -12th September 2021
Our Cuban percussion retreats offer an intensive study of genres such as salsa and Afro-Cuban folkloric percussion including batá, rumba, makuta, bembé, gúiro, palo and iyesá. These highly polyrhythmic genres improve timing, ensemble skills, focus and confidence. They are also a great place to socialise with like-minded people. We tailor-make our course material to accommodate each group’s needs and level.
The week-long retreats are spilt between tuition and practice time, making the most of the amazing location (mountain walks, beaches, sea-swimming, snorkelling, sunbathing, star-gazing, horse riding etc. ), relaxing and of course, eating and drinking.
Afro Cuban Folkloric Percussion: 6th – 12th September
No need to bring instruments we have a variety available including congas, percussion and batá drums. Sit and learn, or practice, whilst looking at the mountains, sky and sea. Private 1:1 classes are also available.
Retreat prices all-inclusive per person (7 nights)
Shared Room £650
Single Room £750
To secure your place please pay £150 deposit by 1st July. A full refund will be issued if Covid restrictions prevent the courses from happening.
Please visit our Accommodation page to read about the facilities available at Finca Ará Oko.
Included in the price
– 5 hours tuition x 5 days (10 am – 1.30 pm and 5 am – 7 pm)
– Two-days of excursions either to the beach, nature reserve or mountain walking.
– Three meals a day. *The main meal of the day will be in the afternoon and will often involve eating ‘El menu del dia’ (the menu of the day) at a restaurant. The evening meal will be a lighter buffet.
Not included in the price
– Flights – The nearest airport is Almeria (50 min drive), then Granada (1 ½ hours’ drive), then Malaga (2 hours’ drive). Fares range from £125 -350 return.
– Transport to and from the airport. Public transport, unfortunately, is rubbish. We are happy to organise a lift for you. Ideally, try to fly into Almeria as it is the nearest airport. We will assist with coordinating with other members of your group. If four people are sharing, the budget for approximately €15-20 per person per airport trip from Almeria.
– Car hire – Some of you may wish to hire a car during your stay. It is a lovely place to drive. Good roads and no traffic. If you choose this option let me know as we have now had plenty of experience of how not to get ripped off by the car-hire firms.
– Travel insurance – Please make your own arrangements.
– Extra lessons
– Extra excursions and activities (two-day excursions are included in the price). There are horse riding, cycling and water sport activities available nearby.
*If you wish to stay longer than 7 nights please check with us to see if we can accommodate you. If we can’t for any reason we will be able to suggest places to stay nearby.
How to book
To secure your place, please make a deposit of £150. You can use our online shop and pay via Paypal. If you do not want to pay via Paypal email us and we will send our bank details email@example.com. The outstanding balance will be required by April 1st. We will send you a reminder in March.
Please see our Cancellation and Participation Guide before booking.
Deposit – Folkloric Percussion Retreat: £150 6th – 12th September